History of Paper
Timeline of Paper
Timeline of Paper
Timeline of Paper and Papermaking
– Egyptians mastered the art of creating papyrus paper.
– Oldest surviving record of animal skins being processed into parchment.
– Oldest surviving record of Egyptian papyrus.
– First parchment manufacture appeared in Ancient China, more precisely in Pergamon (Asia Minor).
– First organized production of paper started in China. It was made from macerated hemp fibers, old fishnets, plant bark and water.
– First dictionary produced in China by Hu Shin. It contained around 10 thousand characters.
– First written record about process of paper manufacture created by Ts'ai Lun in China. His guidelines continued to be used for several more centuries.
– First book about algebra written by Diophantus of Alexandria.
– Mayans used paper created from tree barks.
– Paper arrived and started to be manufactured in Japan.
– Imported Chinese paper started being used in Mecca.
– First printed newspaper appeared in Peking.
– Arabs started producing paper after they learned its recipe from Chinese prisoners.
– One of the earliest printed book was Diamond Sutra by Wang Chieh. It was a 16 feet long scroll.
- Toilet paper used in China.
– Paper being used and produced in Egypt.
– First appearance of playing paper cards in China.
– First recorded reference of paper packaging found in the diary of Persian traveler Nasiri Khosrau. He witnessed street food sellers of Cairo packing up their goods in paper.
– Chinese inventor Bi Sheng created first Movable type during the Song Dynasty.
– Earliest European paper manuscript – deed of King Roger written in Arabic and Greek.
– Paper started being manufactured in Europe.
– Watermarks started being used in Italy.
– Gutenberg printed first bible with moveable type printing machine.
– First paper mill established in England.
– Spanish burned Mayan library of ancient texts.
– Blame for plague landed on linen and cotton rags that were imported by papermills.
– First papermill established in USA.
– First American newspaper - Boston News Letter.
– Paper machine created by inventor N.L.Robert.
- First book printed on machine-made paper.
- Fourdrinier machine patented.
– Paper started being made from grounded wood.
– Paper being made from cellulose fibres extracted from timber with caustic soda.
– First newspaper created from the “ground wood” paper.